Below is an essay on "Softa" from Anti Essays, your source for research papers, essays, and term paper examples.
Advertisment for Softasilk
1. Discuss the construction of the representations in the text – concentrate on interpreting the use of the codes and conventions, not simply describing.
2. Explain how 2 social values in the production period helped shape the text.
3. Does the text support or challenge the dominant social values of Australian society in the production period (refer to the historical material in your book of readings)
Magazine: Woman’s Weekly.
1) Discuss the construction of the representations in the text – concentrate on interpreting the use of the codes and conventions, not simply describing. The representations in the text are constructed through the use of various codes and conventions which include illustrations, colour, framing, setting and props. The representations of the text are constructed throught the idea of women working in the household. As women were in charge of household duties and tasks, the softasilk advertisement targets the importance of looking after your hands. The image at the top is of a woman hugging and stroking her husband. Her hands are they main focus of this image. The red on her nails stands out and captures the attention of the reader. Her hands appear to be shiny and smooth. Below this image is a picture of the same woman washing dishes. Next to this imagine is a slogan that reads “use SOFTASILK after every household task” This text captures women’s attention, as they are the ones who complete the household duties. There is a large section of text describing why the women should use softasilk. The text explains what softasilk will do. Beneath this slab of text, the tube of hand cream is shown and underneath this reads “its handier in a tube.” This displays to the women how convenient the tube is. The light blue in the background gives the advertisement the heavenly feel behind the hand cream. The red appeals to women and stands out against the blue.
2) Explain how 2 social values in the...